Pink Friday

Friday, July 06, 2012

Wall with pink splodges

I've written before about my ambivalence towards pink, particularly in the context of breast cancer awareness. It's just so simplistic: Breasts! Breasts on ladies! Ladies love pink! Breasts! Ladies! Pink! Arrgh! Are there no other colours in the world in which women might possibly be interested? Apparently not. And what about the 300 men diagnosed with breast cancer every year in the UK? Isn't it bad enough that they're having to deal with cancer in their lady lumps, without also having to strut around in a pink wig and a pair of fairy wings?

But of course, I'm being simplistic too. When it comes to breast cancer, pink is more than just a colour. It's not like someone's colour-coded all of the cancers so we can easily find them in a great big cancer filing cabinet. "Testicular cancer? Try the bottom drawer, blue folder, labelled NO GIRLZ ALOWED". Hardly.

No, pink is not just a colour. For starters, it's a shorthand; a silent expression of support and solidarity. It removes the need for questions and explanations. It can shout to the rooftops, "I'm going through something really shit!" It can whisper, "Me, too."

Pink is a banner around which the troops can rally. Under which they can charge forwards towards greater awareness, improved standards of care and a strengthened community of support and understanding. Pink means business.

It's also a way for the rest of us to show our support. I might not be able to offer a cure, but I can offer to bake a dozen pink cupcakes and charge my co-workers for the privilege of eating them. I can put on a pink t-shirt and slog my guts out in the rain to raise a few hundred pounds. I can turn up to a secondary breast cancer awareness event as my mum's date wearing a fabulous fuchsia pencil dress.

Sure, pink sometimes stinks. But it can also be something wonderful.


These musings on pink aren't entirely unprompted. Remember that interesting news I mentioned the other day? Well, it has something to do with the colour pink. No, I'm not going to be Miss Piggy's stunt double. More's the pity. What I am doing is taking three months off my day job as a lawyer (unpaid! eek!) to take up a Community Fundraising Internship with Breast Cancer Care (unpaid! eek!).

Am I crazy? Maybe. I really hope not. After my mum's last setback, I was suddenly overwhelmed with a desire to do something, anything, to help. I can't make her magically well again, but I can contribute my time and talents to a charity that has been a constant spark in even the darkest moments of the past three years.

I'm still not entirely sure what my role will involve, but I do know that a big part of it will be promoting and coordinating BCC's Pink Fridays campaign in Scotland. Time to reconcile myself with pink, then. In general, I think - I hope - that there will be plenty of opportunity to work creatively and take myself outside of the little lawyer-shaped box I've spent the last six years building. We shall see.

So, that's my news. Have any of you ever done something like this? Voluntarily abandoned a nice, comfy, well-paid position in favour of financial ruin and moral superiority? Am I completely insane? (Actually, don't answer that last one.)


I feel compelled to mention that any views expressed on this blog, whether about cancer or pink or dogs wearing clothes, are my own and not those of Breast Cancer Care (or, for that matter, those of my "real" employer). But you knew that already, right? Right.


Images: 1. Antigoni Chryssanthopoulou 2. Ben Giles, both via Society6, with which I am currently obsessed. Can a girl ever have too many iPhone cases?

32 boats moored

  1. Oh wow - that is a great way to make a difference. Good luck with the new challenge - I am sure you will be ace at it!

    You are not insane. I genuinely wish I had the guts to do something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Firstly, I share your views on pink - not a colour I often choose myself, but in this case a simple shorthand for something hugely complicated and important.

    And: WOW!!! Good for you!!! No, absolutely not crazy - it's just a few months and I'm sure you've figured out how you're going to pay the bills; it's not going to damage your career (I know this isn't why you're doing it but it will look fab on your CV); but most of all you are doing something which MATTERS. I work for a charity and I am constantly amazed by how much time and effort people will put into things like this; it's truly inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will be excellent! I volunteered when I was looking for work after uni and loved it. Mine was much more menial and short term than this but one of the great things about it was people really appreciate you when you're there voluntarily (much more than in some jobs where your pay appears to be some sort of monthly compensation for all the shit you put up with!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you. That is brave and exciting and not at all insane.

    I hope it's brilliant and interesting and a good wee escape from madness of lawyerdom into the differently mad world of charity work.

    Looking forward to hearing all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wrote you a comment from my phone, came back to add something and it's not appeared :( Basically it said , you'll be excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason you were sent to spam!! It's back now. Sorry about that, please don't take it personally ;)

      Delete
  6. Wow Kirsty...I think this is great. Doing something that matters to you and your family and so many other people across the UK will be so much more important than earning a few month's pay check. I think the scary things and the times we do step out of the box are the things that shape us most anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in awe, this is just the sort of thing I like to think I would do, but just don't know if I would have the courage.
    You are one of the few people who want to make a difference and actually get up of their arse and DO something about it.
    Good luck, I am sure you will have an amazing time
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're so Awesome Kirsty. I shall endeavour to embrace pink in your honor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so pleased for you, and for all the people you will inevitably be helping along the way. Even though I've never met you, you totally strike me a woman who can get shit done. You will rock this job.

    And the money thing will be ok, it's amazing how much you can adapt when you have to.

    Lots of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow Kirsty, this is fantastic! You'll be great!

    Five years ago I was doing a nicely funded PhD. I have it up, hoped on a plane to New Zealand and did some voluntary work for 3 months with an environmental charity. It was the best thing I've ever done and I've never looked back. I'm sure you'll love your voluntary work too, and what great work you have to let you take 3 months out to do such a worthwhile and valuable thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My work have been SO supportive it's unreal. It's actually made all the difference - I'm not sure I'd have had the balls to do it without their encouragement :)

      Delete
  11. What a brilliant thing to do! And you will have great skills to offer to the charity and when you go back to work I'm sure it'll change your perspective there too. I'd love to do something like this one day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I started with financial ruin! Only just getting the nice, comfortable job now. But I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for the volunteering, the amazing oppertunities it provided and the fantastic people I met along the way. You're going to have a blast and you'll get so much more from it than money could ever provide. Weegie drinks soon! Linds x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not insane, just amazing:-) I always seem to work far harder in voluntary or underpaid positions, possibly because the cause gets under your skin, you see how much needs to be done and how much you can do. It is going to be great! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have you seen this movie about the Pink phenomenon? I hear the book is good as well. Sorry to be a downer (I hope I'm not!) but I thought you'd be interested! :)
    Here you go: http://movies.nytimes.com/2012/06/01/movies/pink-ribbons-inc-a-documentary-about-breast-cancer.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're never a downer! I haven't seen it and I'll definitely check it out. I know there's been a lot of controversy about the way some charities exploit the pink phenomenon - Susan G Komen springs to mind. Thankfully BCC are (hopefully) the good guys :)

      Delete
  15. You will be fabulous. Like Laura said, I'm sure you'll get shit done!

    Best of luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, good for you, Kirsty. Best of luck with your working sabbatical. You're going to kick ass and take names!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Not many people put their money where their mouth is so good for you.

    I actually hate pink but you make a compelling case for it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. this is HUGE! and please do take this as a fantastic opportunity to wear all the pink in your closet

    ReplyDelete
  19. So wonderfully brave and adventurous of you! And not insane, three months seems like just the right amount of time to get your hands into the work properly without going destitute. You're an inspiration to all the lawyers and rest of us in our desk-shaped boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What Lauren said! You're so clever. I know Scots aren't big on being self-congratulatory so I'll do it for you: HURRAAAHHHH!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you so much everyone! You've made my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. As the mum who has brought all this cancer malarky to our family, I cannot say how hugely proud of you I am. I am sure you will be amazing. Sure you and Fin won't go hungry - wee food parcels will come your way - oh and treats for Smidgen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mum :) I'm certain Smidgen won't starve, Fin will feed her before he feeds me! Xxx

      Delete
  23. This is so great - so pleased and excited for you. Fundraising is tough but fascinating - great anthropological exercise along with everything else! Tremendously brave of you - not just making real sacrifices and taking risks, but taking a frightening obstacle and turning into hugely positive chance to learn and give back. Fantastical :)

    Also kudos to the excellent Fin and work for taking this chance with you! Good luck! When do you start?

    ReplyDelete
  24. What great news - well done for taking the plunge! Although it's not the same (i.e. I wasn't being as altruistic as you), the best thing I ever did was to go freelance and then through that take an unpaid internship for a few weeks - it led onto job possibilities I never thought would have been possible. Best of luck for the next three months!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Did I mention how super I think this plan is? You will rock at it, I know it. Well done you, and well done to BBC for choosing you! Can't wait to hear about what you get up to x

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are as superstar Kirsty. It's a brave thing to do, and a good and kind thing to do, but you are brave and good and kind. Good luck, and if I can help with anything let me know (I have done some campaign work, mostly for Oxfam). x

    ReplyDelete
  27. That's amazing and so inspiring. Go Kirsty!

    ReplyDelete